Bad news for Republicans…the latest report estimates that the private sector has added about 201,000 jobs in August. I’ve reported before that Obama’s job record has been skewed by Republicans to make it look like he hasn’t gained any ground, when we have actually added millions of jobs under his watch. With these latest figures, even the misleading argument that looks at the figures from the day he took office is almost nullified.
Here is the breakdown based on the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Obama took office at the end of January in 2009.
- From February 2009 through December 2009 we lost 4,242,000 jobs.
- In 2010 we gained 1,027,000 jobs.
- In 2011 we gained 1,840,000 jobs.
- With the figures for August added in, we have added 1,260,000 jobs so far in 2012.
- The net job loss is only at 115,000 jobs from when Obama took office.
What this means for the GOP is that, by the time October rolls around, we will have added more jobs than we lost since the day Obama took office. What will they complain about then?
In reality, (which is that place Republicans refuse to visit) we have added over 3 million jobs since the time Obama’s policies have really had time to take effect. Looks like the Romney campaign will have to come up with another lie or misleading fact to base his candidacy on now.
Unfortunately, the numbers for August weren’t as high as we were led to believe. However, it doesn’t mean that this post has changed…only the numbers. I still believe that Obama is responsible for more job growth and that we can even surpass the number of lost jobs by election day.